Friday, September 10, 2010

Organization

Since our topic in Chapters 10 - 12 of Graced and Gifted discusses organization, I would like to share my kitchen drawers with you.  I have found that preparing meals is a lot less stressful when you know where your tools are.  It doesn't take a whole lot of time or money to create a good organizational system in the kitchen.


It might seem odd to have pens and pencils along with oven mitts, but the phone happens to be right next to the oven.  So, it works.  The white plastic baskets were purchased at WalMart for around $2 total.



In this drawer, I have covered the bottom with non-slip material.  The knives used most often are towards the front, with those used less often at the back.  These utensils are next to the oven, since that is where the meats will be prepared and pizzas cut.



The island is where I prepare my baked goods and do other meal prep.  You can see I have some of those white plastic baskets again.  As for the cookie cutters, there's no real point in trying to keep them neat.  They have their own separate space.



I chose a drawer that is out of the way to put the items that aren't used as often, but that are still needed.  Again, utilizing the non-slip material.


I splurged on the silverware drawer.  We have deep drawers on this side of the kitchen due to the bar, so I needed an extra-large organizer.  This organizer costs around $20, and it was well worth it.  I even purchaed one of these for my bathroom drawer.  It's perfect for all the stuff we need to primp ourselves with in the morning.


I like to have all the appliance manuals in the kitchen.  They are good to have on hand.  But if you are lacking space, make a separate file in your filing cabinet.  So, if you have a question about the oven, you'll know exactly where to find the information.  It's also good to have a stain marker on hand to make quick touch-ups to your cabinets.

My cabinets have actually stayed organized since I took these pictures, and it's not because I'm some amazingly organized person.  I thought through where the most logical place would be for each item - where would I use it in my kitchen.  Once you do that, and come up with your organized layout, it's easy to keep it up.

I hope this encourages you to go organize your kitchen or some other area of your home that could use some help.  Be sure to measure your spaces before you go shopping for baskets and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment